MAIN DAY ONE
8:00 am - 9:00 am Registration & Coffee
8:45 am - 9:00 am Chairperson's Welcome & Opening Remarks
9:00 am - 9:45 am Meeting the Nexus of Functionality and Design
A major challenge across the automotive lighting sector is bridging the gap between lighting performance and design. This session will detail the ongoing efforts to incorporate high-end styling, while maximizing functionality of exterior lighting.
- Understanding the challenges of both engineers and designers
- Efficiently leveraging limited space to meet function and design parameters
- Navigating the automotive lighting market to fully leverage new capabilities
Luciano LukacsLincoln Exterior Lighting Supervisor
Ford Motor Company
9:45 am - 10:30 am Understanding Headlamp and Lighting System’s Role across the Entire System
The ongoing & rapid technological innovation for headlamp development is prompting manufacturers across the automotive lighting industry to take an in-depth look into lighting’s role in the vehicle’s entire system.
- Understanding the role of lighting throughout the vehicle’s entire system
- Considerations on future headlamp development and roadmapping for future vehicle systems
- Leveraging advances in electronics and software capabilities for improved lighting system performance
Gary RushtonActive Safety & Body Controls Systems Engineering, Feature Owner - Vision and Visibility
10:30 am - 11:00 am Demo Drive & Refreshment Break
11:00 am - 11:45 am Interior Lighting Road Mapping
The rapid utilization of LEDs in interior lighting has taken the automotive industry by storm. LEDs provide great flexibility in design, enabling car makers to enhance the performance and safety of the vehicle overall.
- Leveraging advanced interior lighting to support driver safety and functionality
- Technological development supporting new age lighting capabilities
- Considerations as to the next decade of lighting
Arees UthayasurianSenior Studio Engineer
11:45 am - 12:30 pm Efforts to Expand Evaluation Procedures and Criteria for improved Exterior Lighting Performance
To ensure the highest level of quality for high performing exterior lighting solutions,organizations across the automotive industry must develop evaluation procedures and best practice criteria to expand their current capabilities, and leverage lessons learned.
- Conducting evaluations on exterior lighting to ensure product meets specifications and customer needs
- Defining specific evaluation procedures to meet high-performance lighting capabilities
- Future requirements and rules for automotive lighting
Sunil DalalExterior Lighting Evaluations Leader
Toyota North America
12:30 pm - 1:15 pm Networking Lunch
1:15 pm - 2:00 pm Understanding the Unique Lighting Design & Development Challenges for Electric Vehicles
The ongoing utilization of electric vehicles throughout the automotive industry presents a profound shift, one that requires unique vehicle solutions specific to EVs. This session will provide a means to understand some of the lighting system challenges associated specifically with electric adventure vehicles.
- Rivian - A new way to explore the world by the integration of mobility, energy and connectivity
- Developing a unique Lighting Design for an Electric Adventure Vehicle
- Engineering challenges for exterior lighting systems on an Electric Adventure Vehicle
Simon BakerLighting Subject Matter Expert
2:00 pm - 2:45 pm SAE Headlight Rating Standardization
· Consumer Reports and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) rate vehicle headlamp performance in the US
· Each organization’s rating focuses only on some aspects of a headlamps performance, resulting in variability between rating for the same vehicle
· This presentation outlines the status of SAE’s work to develop an all-encompassing headlight rating system as an alternative to these rating systems
Michael LarsenGM Exterior Lighting Specialist
2:45 pm - 3:30 pm Light-Guides in the Automotive Industry
OEMs are continuously leveraging light-guides across the industry, as it provides a means to realize visually attractive and brand-specific lighting solutions for signal and day-time running lights.
- Light-guides general design approach, and selected projects for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Fiat
- Decorative illumination strategies
- Gauge illumination with light-guides
Dr. Vyacheslav BirmanLighting Technology Expert